Your home should be a place where your children are safe and protected, but there is a hidden danger in many Irish homes.
The cords and chains of window blinds and curtains can pose a serious risk. Young children, particularly under the age of three, can strangle in the loop of cords and chains from window blinds and curtains.
Since 2005 in Ireland, 5 small children have died from strangulation caused by loose cords and chains from window blinds fitted before the new regulations came into force.
What to do:
- Move beds, cots and furniture away from windows.
- Keep cords and chains out of reach of children – cords should end at least 1.5m above the ground.
- Make your existing blinds or curtains safe – try to get rid of cords ending in a loop. Please feel free to contact us here at Direct Blinds for further information regarding retro fitting safety devices on existing blinds
- Choose new blinds carefully – there are now many options available that don’t have cords or chains at all.
- All our blinds meet the new safety standard EN 13120:2009+A1:2014.
- Always read the warning notice on the blind.
- If you are installing the blinds yourself. Check that written instructions for assembly, installation, use and maintenance are followed to the letter
Further information of the new safety standards is available from the NSAI.
Read some important Safety Awareness Information.
A word of caution
These tips should help to protect your child from possible serious harm. You should be aware that all risks cannot be eliminated. Parents and others should always keep window blind cords and chains out of the reach of children and follow the safety instructions.
Using safety devices may reduce the risk of a child being strangled but nothing can be considered risk proof.
How to install safety devices for chain operated blinds:
The Tension device reduces the hazards of strangulation and entanglement of young children by limiting access to the chain control. Anchor the Tension Device to the window or wall so that young children cannot pull the cord around their necks
Position the chain in the Device. Do not twist or cross the chain
Position the Tension Device on the wall or window frame and mark the hole for drilling. The device should be installed without stretching or pulling down on the chain.
Drill the hold to the depth of the screw provided using a 5.5mm drill bit
Holding the Tension device upright and in position, as shown, insert and secure the screw through the hole. The screw must be secured into a solid surface.